Thursday, February 10, 2011

Whipped Up Some New Pillow Covers

If I think of this house as a whole when it comes to decorating, it totally overwhelms me. My head starts to spin. It's hard to organize my thoughts at times because there are so many projects I need to tackle. Therefore, I'm trying to take it room by room. Starting with the rooms that we spend the most time in. That leads us to the den, right off the kitchen. This room has become the "main hub" for the house. It's our daytime living room. The girls play in there most of time even though they have a HUGE playroom...ugh! and watch cartoons there. I love the den. It's the main entry to the house for us 99% of the time. It needs to make a statement...you know that whole "first impression is the lasting impression" thing. When we got the house, it had floor to ceiling dark wood paneling. Not the cheap stuff, the real deal. Lots of people told me I was crazy to want to paint it, but it was entirely too dark for our taste. It was one bear skin rug away from looking exactly like a ski lodge. There is nothing wrong with that, but I didn't want it to feel dark and sleepy all the time, nor did I want to feel the need to hang dead animals all over the walls. It was a bear (no pun intended) to paint. We had to use an oil based primer (which stinks to high heavens if you didn't already know) and put 3 coats of paint. I chose Valspar's Antique White in a Satin Finish. We love the way it turned out! So happy we stood our ground on that decision. For some reason, I can't find any of my before pics. I'll work on that. However, here's a glimpse of the den now.
                       
We still have LOTS to do, but at least it got a fresh coat of paint.

As far as the throw pillows go, here's what I came up with. It literally took me less than an hour to sew these.


I always LOVE stripes...even in clothing!!

Love this print! Found the fabric at good ole' Hobby Lobby.
I did an easy envelope closure on the back.
I didn't want to hassle with a zipper.




New pillow paired with a starburst pattern pillow I got at Target last summer.

I've been sewing lots of pillow covers lately because
I'm trying to get an Etsy shop up and running.
I want a good inventory first. (I'll post more on that later). Isn't it great how something as simple as a pillow cover can light up a space!?

No comments:

Post a Comment