Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The Family Jewels

I've been looking at the biggest mess on top of my dresser for 3 months. Necklaces and bracelets scattered everywhere and earrings overflowing out of a Tiffany's box. (Hadley insists on us keeping all the little blue Tiffany's bags and boxes...hey, the girls knows what she likes.) Simply no order to any of it and that drives me crazy. To top it off, I just picked up some fun new things for springtime (if it ever arrives) and now I really have a shortage of space for it all. What's a OCD girl to do for fashion?! Here's what I came up with for the necklaces. Mind you, these are "fun" necklaces. The good stuff is put away safe and sound where my two little burglars won't snatch them.

I had this shadow box frame which I've had for years. It had some honeymoon memorabilia in it. Well, the honeymoon is over.   Joking. I can toss that stuff in a photo album and use 
the box for something a little more practical and lot more functional. I emptied the contents, cleaned the glass and dusted it off. Next, I rounded up some really big, metallic covered thumb tacks. I placed the tacks staggered at various heights....and this is what I came up with:

Happy in their new home. Keep reading for where its final destination will be.


Next, onto the earrings. I weeded out the ones I don't wear much anymore. I really just wanted a place for the bigger earrings to hang. They tend to be awkard in a jewelry box. I'll keep the nicer, everyday earrings in a safe spot away from little sticky fingers....Here's what I came up with:


 I happened to have all these Supplies on hand:
Corkboard (purchased from Target)
Hot Glue Gun (imagine that)
Fabric ( I had some scrap pieces from where I cut some curtains off. It was neutral linen, which I liked)
Old frame
Scissors
Pen
Straight Pins


First, I measured how big the corkboard needed to be.
I used the glass from the old frame and traced a line to cut on.

Cut your corkboard to size.

Cut your fabric to fit the corkboard with about 1 inch all around for overhang.
Apply the hot glue and secure the fabric to the back of the board. Pull it tight so it will come out smooth.

This is what the front will look like after it is glued on the cork.
Pop it into your old frame (without putting the glass back) and put the back on the frame.


Put your straight pins in the cork and hang your lovely jewels!


Conveniently, hanging on the wall beside my dresser.


Here's a shot with the door open. It's nice that you can enclose them away from those little grabby hands.
I hung the earrings higher so the girlies couldn't reach them.
I feel certain all this effort will go to waste. They'll find a way to get into this.

Pretty pleased with how it turned out.
Tidy dresser with all my jewels secure, safe and sound...for now.





3 comments:

  1. What a great idea!! Now come to my house and do this for me. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your blog from my bestie Erin, and I love it! That jewlery display looks great! I have been wanting to do something similar for my necklaces! Welcome to the blogger world! I look forward to following you!
    -Natalie

    http://designerbagsanddirtydiapers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Natalie! You should tackle the jewelry shadow box project...so easy! It looks really pretty hanging up! I'll make sure to check out your blog..great name for a blog!!

    ReplyDelete